Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Green Thumb

"Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers where I can walk undisturbed." - Walt Whitman

Until very recently, I would have said that I have a black thumb. I am good with kids. I am good with animals. But with plants and garden, things have never gone well. I think my black thumb is becoming a little greener though.

When we moved in May, my lovely neighbor, Doreen, gave Pickle and I some ivy plant cuttings. There 3 cuttings in the small vase, about 5-6 inches in length at the time. I planted them in a small pot and it sits on my front window sill now with my collection of glassworks. Well! Has it grown!



I find myself weaving the branches along the windowsill every week as it continues to grow. In its glory now I feel it deserves a better pot to live in. I will have to take care of that.

Another plant that I keep above my kitchen sink has also taken root and blossomed (pun intended) since my divorce - which, yes, I take as full blown symbolism. How can you not? anyways...it was a clipping from many years ago from A, and now it too needs some re-potting and addressing as it creeps closer to the kitchen sink. The dots on the leaves I think are the results of stray soap bubbles.



Granted our pumpkin plant ALMOST had a wee pumpkin until the squirrel got to it and the entire plant. But our marigolds were plentiful and gorgeous.

Looking forward to next spring where Pickle and I will plant more seeds and cultivate a bigger garden full of smiles and colors - cause looks like things are taking a turn for the better.

P.S. - if you have any advice on successfully re-potting plants pass them along. I would hate a post here in a month or so with an RIP.


1 comment:

Willow said...

(Second try! Argh!)
Repotting tips: Leave the roots intact; shake off any dry, crusty-looking dirt; use a slightly larger pot than the last one; fill about 2/3 and then put the plant in an indentation in the soil then fill to about 1 inch below top; water thoroughly and allow to drain in sink before moving back to it's home.