Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Poisonwood Bible - review

"I wonder that religion can live or die on the strength of a faint, stirring breeze. The scent trail shifts, causing the predator to miss the pounce. One god draws in the breath of life and rises; another god expires." - The Poisonwood Bible, Adah, pg. 141

I just had the honor of finishing this book. From the first page I was enraptured with the language that was vivid and fluid. I started to read this book on a 6am flight to Austin, TX. So I read it a few pages at a time as my eyes took little rests. But it kept even a sleep deprived me engrossed. The way the author, Barbara Kingsolver, goes between the perspectives of the characters is well done. She gets in a loves rhythm where their individual stories create a rich tapestry. One of the things I found most interesting was her choice NOT to include the perspective of the father, whom is the antagonist of the story. This was a most wise decision. You hated him and also had sympathy for him - enough of both without hearing his side of the story. You got that from the stories of the daughters and the wife, all who loved him differently. We can all look at our own families in truth and see those differences in how siblings love their parents. I know that my sister and I have solidly differing perspectives on some of our upbringing.

Learning some history of the Congo and Africa was interesting as well. I want to go back and read more about it. African history, so significant to the world, yet so lacking in my education. (apparently)

I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone who loves a good solid story. I was even pleased with the ending, which often disappoints a reader when the rest of the book was so satisfying. This ending left me feeling complete and happy to leave the characters to their lives without me looking over their shoulders.

No comments: