Wednesday, October 8, 2008

QoTD

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy." - Thich Nhat Hanh

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)


These two quotes resonated with me this morning. Though they may seem to address different mindsets, for me they are closely tied. I have found recently how liberating the power of forgiveness is and the joy that comes from the painstaking act. Let's face it, some forgiveness is painful as the power is within yourself and you may not get closure with the other person. Forgiveness of self is important and even more empowering in fact. Though I am far from perfect, my heart has forgiven not only myself, but others in need of my forgiveness recently. (they may not know it, but they needed it). I did this not for them but for someone much more important - me. And since I have made this decision in my heart I have found more joy and others have noticed a shift in me and see the joy in me as well. I especially see it in my relationship with my kids. Joy brings more joy - of which I hope I can continue to share with those in my life and myself.

The best forgiveness I have given myself as of late, in fact, was forgiving myself for not having folded two hampers of laundry last night. Oh so liberating! Tonight however is a different story...

1 comment:

Zuzana said...

What a wonderful post. Yes, to forgive is liberating and it sets one's very soul free.