I took the one less traveled by,
And it has made all the difference." - Robert Frost, A Road Not Taken
Yesterday I had the joy to take a good autumn hike with my friend, D. Weeks ago when I knew I would be without the kids this particular Sunday we set it up. I have been making a serious endeavor to get outside more and be more active and D has been helping me see this through and inspiring me with his own tales of outdoor adventure. So I figured not only is he good company, but he is experienced and I have less chance of getting lost or maimed or attacked by a serial killer.
We decided on the Ward Hill Reservation in Andover, MA. Originally I suggested Wachussett Mt. but D, in his sage foresight, thought a less mountain like hike would be better for the day. Though I have dropped about 2 sizes (booyah!) I am still far from 'in shape'. And D is getting old :P So Ward Hill it was! I got up, had some breakfast, watched an episode of Fringe on my DVR (Love this show btw! Early Xfiles feel), put on my new hiking boots and gear with much excitement. I want take this moment to booyah! again at my putting on my new hiking gear. My boots are great, my socks are comfy but I also came upon the sales rack at EMS and had new pants and a vest. What is so booyah! about this you ask? Well, though I have always liked the styles and clothes and EMS I have always been too big to fit into them. EMS does not have a 'plus size' rack for the ladies. But my loyal readers - this time things fit!!! It's nice to have such a positive shot in the arm to see that my new lifestyle choices are paying off. My blood pressure is lower too so all is good! And I looked cute, if I do say so myself. Mental note: go back to EMS and talk more with sales guy Brian...
Sorry, back to the hike...
Left the house, got some coffee at DDs where the drive-through guy told me how pretty I am. I was very flattered, but he is kind of creepy. But! I was gracious and will take that with a smile. D & I met at 9:30 in Lowell and made the rest of the way up in his truck. The skies were looking cloudy, but rain was not in the forecast so I had no fear.
D printed out a map of the trails. And thank God he did, let me tell you. Without that map we would have been lost several times double backing on trails and cursing the marking gods. Oh wait! We were doing that WITH the map! I had to laugh several times that D was there to make sure I was on trail and safe and...well, he was getting us lost. To his credit though, the map was a little confusing and the orange trail, though elusive, it does exist...eventually. Luckily he remembered his whistle/compass/thermometer in his pack and we were able to get ourselves on track. Note: it was about 70 degrees in D's fanny pack. The things you find out about your friend's bums when on a hike :P
The hike was spectacular with just enough strenuous parts to make us feel like we earned it. The views from the hills were nice of Boston and the county. In a week or two autumn will be in full bloom and it should be even prettier. I am hoping to take the kids back at that time. We hiked for about 4 hours and must have covered 3-5 miles. It felt great physically, emotionally, spiritually. The smells of the wood, the details of the habitat and the sounds of nature around us (minus the hum of I-93 in the background at the edges of the reservation) were inspiring. My quote of the day is inspired by a fork in the path we came upon early. D and I both immediately thought of Robert Frost. Humorously enough, that was fork #2 that we chose the wrong path...but we got back on track in good course. And as always it was good to spend time with D. We laugh easily together and have good conversations about deep life issues like choices and paths - to the mundane and ribald like proper fart etiquette on hike or climb. Good times!
Here are some pictures of the hike and what we encountered.
Some beaver work! You could see little teeth marks!
There were a lot of mushrooms long the path. Maybe from last week's rains? But this bunch stood out! The orange is vibrant in the photo, but it was almost dayglo in real life and the shapes and curves were near perfect. Amazing what nature does all on its own.
I always look up at the trees to see the sky through their canopy. And it never disappoints.
Another choice. But here there is at least a sign with some directions! Did you know men do not like to read direction in the woods either?
The walk bridge across the swamp. It was mucky! But we did catch a couple of frogs poking their heads up through the slime. Also found a beaver dam and lodge nearby.
I love the reflection in the water here. This was the pond/lake waiting for us at the end of the bog walkway. Just imagine it in a few weeks with golds and reds making the water look as if it is on fire! I may have to go back just to get a picture to re-post.
Some hot babe we encountered on the trails. She was clever too - she liked to read signs and maps along the way.
At one of the summits is a landmark - Elephant Rock on Boston Hill. Now...I see an elephant lying on his side, his trunk outstretched to the right. D insists he sees no elephant. What do you think? We took a little break here and an elderly couple with two gorgeous golden retrievers passed us by. The couple were wearing matching blue baseball hats. They were so cute. One day I hope to have someone to wear corny blue matching hats with when I have white hair.
At the second summit, Holt Hill, there is a pretty Solstice Circle and you can see the Boston skyline. We were greeted by two young men jamming on their guitars. It was a nice serenade for our lunch.
The music attracted a deer to the circle. It felt a bit magical.
Some of the trails are very close to residences and cuts through what appears to be a functioning farm with some hay fields. This was the classic New England scene that greeted us as we ended our day. It's shots like this that remind me, I could never leave New England for very long.So what does a girl do with the rest of her Sunday after some good time with a friend in the bounty of Mother Nature? Stop at the mall, watch the Pats win, flip between the Sox game and a chick flick (Must Love Dogs) and make an apple pie of course! I should have sorted all the clothes from summer to winter between I and the kids that are piling up in my bedroom - but I chose the path that led to my couch, and today, it has made all the difference.


No comments:
Post a Comment