Monday, November 10, 2008

Watching the Tide Roll Away

"They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse." - Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

While in Maine yesterday, I took a walk out on the jetty and sat at the end by myself watching the tide come in. I closed my eyes and breathed in the salt air, felt the mist, listened to the ocean and the birds and I thanked God for that moment, these friends, my children, this time in my life where it is all coming together and I can feel my soul (re)emerging. I understand who I am and I know what I want - and more importantly, what I do not. I see so much wonderful ahead of me shining in its simplicity. I feel the challenges of my past transform into the lessons my soul needed to grow. Anger and bitterness releasing (though I still hold onto sarcastic and annoyed humor - not perfect, but trying after all) I spoke these words out loud and sent them to heavens with all sincerity of purpose, from the depths of my heart - 'Thank you'.

Then on my walk back to the house, to join my friends again, I found a rock. I found the most perfect rock. It is about the size of a silver dollar, flat and smooth. It sits in the center of my palm adding just enough weight so I know that it is there, it's texture and cool feel a calming and balancing effect. It reminded me of a card A recently gave me that is now framed and hanging in my bedroom - it says that the most beautiful rocks have been tossed and turned and polished bylife's roughest storms. When I picked up this rock I was overwhelmed and felt tears well in my eyes. For when I stopped and reached for this rock, lying alone in the sand, no other elements around it to detract from its presence, I distinctly heard God's voice say "You're welcome".

No comments: